Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Cow Washing and Politics

Late yesterday afternoon, I was giving my cow a bath so I wouldn't have to watch the local news, and I decided I may be a little out of step with the rest of the known world. I gave up on talking heads many years ago after experiencing what they do when denied access to a dangerous situation. The media has gone the way of many institutions in our Country, they seem to want drama and cheap thrills at any cost. Truth, accuracy, human kindness, and decency all seem to be left in the wash in favor entertainment value, ratings, and shock value. It's something new with politicians every day. I am appalled by our current slate of political candidates. Are there no Statesmen left who can afford to be elected? A front runner with very little experience in anything was quoted as saying;

"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me as we try to change it." (B. Obama)

Now, the obvious question to me would be, given we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world, why do we want to change it? He is not alone in the arena of "What did he/she just say?", all of the politically and socially correct mavens succumb to this circuitous politi-speak. That leaves many of us scratching our heads as we stare at the voting ballot.


I know, I'm tempted to dumb down so I can abide what many people are glad to put up with as the norm on a daily basis, but, sixty years of harsh reality and several courses from the University of Hard Knocks in critical thinking make this impossible for me to do. There is also a danger in attempting this as C. S. Lewis tells us;


The trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed. -
CS Lewis



I think it's time to downsize government. To do that we are going to need to seek out people who are willing to make some hard choices. People who put their personal poll ratings aside in favor of what's right for our Country's future. Nobody I've seen so far fits the bill. Collectively we all need to get our hands out of the treasury and put them to work doing what needs to be done locally. In response, taxes need to be slashed. I detest the idea of living in a huge collective.


As Steven Wright tells us; "There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot."

I'm for ditching the well known posers and getting some real down to earth (proven) workers to fill what positions remain after we downsize the whole mess.
Will Rogers once said;

"Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for."