Sunday, October 19, 2008

The Ups and Downs of Birthdays

Adrift in the Laguna Madre. That's why I didn't post yesterday. The Laguna Madre is the water between South Padre Island and the Texas mainland. It is part intercoastal waterway, and part tidal flats. My daughter Mandy and a friend, Chris, took Pappy fishing yesterday. I haven't really been fishing in about eight years. I mean in a nice boat with the proper bait , tackle, and a guy who knows fishing. I was up early (I'm always up early) and doing my part for the venture. I brewed coffee and made enough Pappy McMuffins (egg sandwiches with melted cheese) for us all. All I brought otherwise was my cell phone, camera, and knife. Now that's a generous birthday present. We were on the Arroyo Colorado at daylight and headed for the Laguna Madre with a pretty stiff north wind putting a little chop on the water. I chose the front seat so I could have the sea breeze forced into my nostrils with all the attendant particulates present in our air today. I am just a little stuffy and my face is a little flushed from the sun.
This was the view from my perch. Once we located the shallow bays we wanted to fish, Chris skillfully positioned us on the north end and we drifted with the wind while casting. Everyone on board was successful and we brought home some nice fresh Red fish and Speckled trout fillets. My casting arm is sore, and my body is thankful to be seated in a soft office chair, but I am still savoring the experience of yesterday. Many thanks to all who participated in my birthday weekend, and all who came by to say "Howdy" on the blog. Resting on Sunday. That's what it's for and I intend to take full advantage. I was brought back to reality when the little girls (pre-school to early elementary) from across the street (who come by every afternoon for a brief visit) stopped by and wished me happy birthday. The eldest asked how old I was and when I told her sixty one, her mouth fell open, her eyes widened, and she exclaimed, "No way". It was as though she was looking at a living fossil. I can remember when forty looked old.


Nature shows us only the tail of the lion. But I do not doubt that the lion belongs to it even though he cannot at once reveal himself because of his enormous size. Albert Einstein