Saturday, August 30, 2008

News Overload

I don't know about you, but I am a little overloaded with news. This picture was taken after the Democrat convention. I think they may have failed to consider the load they were placing on their candidate. With his 143 days of actual work experience as a Senator, he may not be up to pulling the cart.

I think an old elephant might be better equipped for a slow steady pull. His running mate is certainly prettier than Joe Biden. Well, enough of that balderdash. Tropical storms, convention coverage, football season, the war, gasoline prices, the stock market, the value of the dollar, and a plethora of predictions concerning all of the above have certainly created a news glut. I don't watch it anymore. I prefer reading the text myself to having it read to me by someone who defers to someone else for an interpretation. Then in the interest of fairness a second interpreter counters what the first interpreter said. I can stop at anytime and make my own interpretations. However, in this era of ever being in touch through all of electronic media people have become dull with what they've heard on the news. There is so much coverage, people are forced to speak in generalities because there is no way to digest and catalog all the information. The result is a very shallow knowledge of a wide variety of subjects. Introduce some facts into almost any modern conversation and most of the participants will leave because after the sound bite they're done. Blogging is the one medium where an instant response is not required, and if the participants choose to do so, they can do some research and put some meat in their answers. There is a lot of hullabaloo about Vice Presidential choices on both sides of the aisle, but I can't remember any VP who actually did enough to be recognized in office unless there was a tragic loss of the President. Most are lost in obscurity after their terms in office.

So, this morning when I woke up and discovered I was out of coffee, I decided to take Bebe out to Gem's Pancake House for breakfast and caffeine. I am in a constant state of displeasure with my current size, but I lack the will power to really mount a concerted campaign to take care of the problem. My approach this morning was to eat enough to keep several people going all day without another meal. I think this one is going to work since I have not thought about eating anything else since we got home. I'll let you know. I didn't even have room left for my vitamins. I hope you are out of the path of all the tropical storms. We don't know if any of the drilling rigs will actually be damaged enough to affect our oil production, but in our wisdom, speculators have jacked up the price of crude just in case. So when people need gasoline to evacuate, gasoline prices mysteriously go up. It also happens that way near every holiday in anticipation of a drop in the supply because of increased usage. I have answers for these problems, but I haven't found anyone that can control these situations who is interested in my solutions. I hope your holiday weekend is safe and spent close to home. One way to combat high gasoline prices is to not use any.

Remember:

You can go a long way with a smile. You can go a lot farther with a smile and a gun. - Al Capone