Thursday, May 29, 2008

Braving Mexico

We live just about seven miles as the crow flies from Mexico. However, when we talk about venturing to the interior, we always get cautions from well meaning folks telling us to be careful. The drug lords along the border are shooting it out with the Mexican Police on a regular basis. We however, were several hundred miles from the border. The Yucatan peninsula is on the lower eastern quadrant of Mexico between the Gulf of Campeche, and the Caribbean Sea. We flew into Cancun, then rented a car and drove for over an hour down Mexico highway 307 to the lazy little village of Akumal.
Being an old law dog, I always try and locate the local Police Headquarters. I just thought I would show you the Akumal Police Station. They are not acquainted with crime as we know it in these parts. The locals are bad about stealing your money, but its all done quite legally.
Every morning I tried to work some time into my rigorous schedule to do a little writing. I did not have a word processor, so I had to do it the old fashioned way with a pen and notebook. To make it harder, I did it all with my left hand. I am going to invest in a better camera. The one I am currently using makes me look fat. In case you are wondering, I did change into less formal attire after I completed my writing session every day.


Age is not a particularly interesting subject. Anyone can get old. All you have to do is live long enough. - Groucho Marx