Monday, March 31, 2008

Spring Variance



Just wanted to include everyone. Positive thinking is a good thing. It won't be long before your transformation occurs. While you are thinking blooms, we are anticipating the warmth that follows Spring here. This actually dipicts an Arizona summer temperature more than one of ours. We usually top out just under 100 on our hottest days. Last year was very wet and mild for the Valley. I think we had one day during the summer that reached 100. I'm pretty sure Billings, MT beat us. I am trying to shed my winter coat - I've been wearing it for a couple of years now. I did manage during the course of my eight day diet to loose nine pounds. About thirty more and I'll be just right. I appreciate your supportive comments. Many people here have the sniffles, plus watery, itchy eyes, as an abundance of pollen from Oaks, Mesquite, Huisache, and other trees travels on the March breezes. In Austin during the late winter and early Spring the pollen of the Mountain Juniper tree gave many people "Cedar Fever". People called the tree a Cedar, even though it is a Juniper. Austin is at the edge of the Texas Hill Country, and on the west side of the city the limestone hills are beautiful. I wrote this poem while living there.

Austin Winter

Another hot winter’s day

Liquid crystal moves over limestone.

Skies threaten more water,
not frozen.

Green grass.
Mountain Juniper pollen.

Southerly breezes huff
against a norther.

Everybody hates me because I'm so universally liked. - Peter de Vries