Monday, March 10, 2008

Rednecks

I can talk about rednecks because I am one. I love these examples of redneck ingenuity. "Redneck"is a term generally attached to the more rural folks of the deep south. If you speak with a drawl or perhaps have a mullet hair style you might be a redneck. Jeff Foxworthy makes a great living identifying the various things that could identify one as a redneck. In my travels across this great nation, I discovered that rednecks are not bounded by geography. They are the working class boys and girls who can get along with meager wages and still enjoy life. Ingenuity is a big part of living the American Dream on a limited budget. I am originally from Mississippi, and some of my redneck cousins are doctors, bankers, lawyers, nurses, teachers, preachers, and meteorologists. So, you really can't stereo-type. They stay in Mississippi because it is a beautiful state and a place where a less stressful lifestyle can still be found. So wherever you are, I salute you today. You make life interesting with your talk and your antics. Redneck is more of an attitude than anything you can identify physically. If you are from the south, you probably run into rednecks on a regular basis. If you hunt and fish I can almost assure you you will. Most of us have family members who qualify and we are at ease in their company. I find myself blending very rapidly when I'm around them. Their wisdom is simple, astute, and usually full of rather dry wit.





You never can tell where you might find them, but when you do just enjoy them. They will welcome your company and show you great hospitality.
To have a right to do a thing is not at all the same as to be right in doing it. - GK Chesterton