Wednesday, July 1, 2009

How to Practice Cell Phone Etiquette - wikiHow


How to Practice Cell Phone Etiquette - wikiHow

I'll be away for the 4th of July for a few days. I'll have my cell phone with me, but it is my practice not to take it with me where others would be disturbed if it rings. I also don't like to broadcast what I'm talking about to the entire world. Here is a poem I wrote several years ago highlighting some of the problems. Let Freedom Ring this July 4th instead of your cell phone.

TRANQUILITY LOST

Whoever thought a modern invention,

designed to assist us,

could cause such contention?

In theory it’s great,

a freeing contraption.

But freedom’s a dream,

an illusive distraction.

.

We’re free, but we’re not.

We can’t get away.

It’s there in our lives

every night, every day.

No rest at a meal,

in a movie or church.

No relief from the thing

at play or at work.

“Turn it off, turn it off.”

There are signs and announcements,

admonitions and pleadings,

proclamations, pronouncements.

We forgot to consider the human condition.

That one fatal flaw that leads to perdition.

“It’s mine, it’s mine.”

they say as they flaunt.

“I’ll force you to listen.

I don’t care what you want.”

We swerve and careen

ever faster and bolder

with that hard plastic case

pinned twixt cheekbone and shoulder.

We’ll pass laws I am sure,

but who will obey them?

We’ll never return to those

days without mayhem.

Dennis Price


The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them: that's the essence of inhumanity.
-
George Bernard Shaw