Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother's Day

Happy Mother's Day mom.  Today we celebrate our mothers.  Mimi will be 89 years young in June.  This picture was taken by my daughters on a recent visit.  I wrote a poem for a contest several years ago.  The category was called "Steel Magnolias".  I wrote the poem because I thought my mother fit the bill.  My daughters are preparing to celebrate Bebe with a brunch later today.  Let's honor all moms this special day.

 

  THE MYSTERY OF THE FLOWER

 

She was the Belle of Jeff Davis County.

Stunning to the beholder.

Long haired brunette

with more curves than a mountain highway.

 

She was raised in the traditions of the South.

Never leave the house without your make-up.

Always dress to the nines.

Her wide brimmed hats shadowed her face

to add to the mystery.

 

She learned to be strong and silent in adversity.

A player in a man’s world.

Influential, but not obtrusive.

Beautiful, but powerful.

 

She remains the same today.

Never making an appearance until her face is fixed.

Her hair shows no gray.

Graceful and fragrant like the Magnolia’s blossom.

 

But make no mistake,

her resolve is steel.