Thursday, January 8, 2009

You can't get 'um all

I think the 1976 movie, "The Outlaw Josey Wales", is one of the best Clint Eastwood ever did. It has a plethora of great quotes in it. Every time I start to address the idiocy in Washington, D.C. I harken back to the great dialogue.

The character, Fletcher, is talking to a Northern Senator about the surrender of the remaining Southern troops and is obviously being feed a line of bull by the Senator (Much like what we are experiencing today). Fletcher replies, "There's another old saying Senator: "Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining."

After the Yankees gather the Confederate troops together for surrender and disarm them, they uncover a Gatlin gun hidden in a covered wagon and shoot them down. Jamie, a young Confederate escapes and Josey Wales comes riding in and captures the gun wagon. He's mowing down the Union soldiers and young Jamie rides up behind the wagon and says:

Jamie: "You can't get 'em all Josie."
Josey: "That's a fact."
Jamie: "How come you're doin' this?"
Josey: "Because I ain't got nothin' better to do."

That's just the way I feel. I may not be able to get them all, but I've got nothing better to do.

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul
can always depend on the support of Paul.
- George Bernard Shaw


Giving money and power to the government is like
giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.
-P.J. O'Rourke, Civil Libertarian