Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The Great Experiment

I'm baaaack! We survived Houston traffic one more time. For eleven years of my life, on almost every day of the week and some weekends, I drove in Houston traffic. Each year I tempt fate by driving back into the fray for some noble reason. I forget during the interim what it was like and am always in shock for the first few miles of the vortex. The vortex actually starts about sixty miles out in any direction from the core. Drivers who are being courteous, and sensible start to show aggression. Everyone increases their margin of speed over the limit by at least ten miles per hour, with some going totally out of control. Then the weaving and lane adjustments get more complex and the margin for error decreases. I had the opportunity to be alone in the car on several side trips during the weekend. During these trips I resurrected some of the highway terminology I thought had been purged from my vocabulary. I did avoid any road rage incidents by remembering that almost all the drivers in Houston are armed, and I was not. When we got out of Houston yesterday, I stopped the car and let Bebe drive for a while. I took a nap. I am rested this morning and ready to make comment. The old bear in the picture is watching the Democrats at their convention and waiting for some government official to bring him his lunch.

Man is a clever animal who behaves like an imbecile. - Albert Schweitzer