Friday, July 11, 2008

Bad Hair Day




What a week this has been. Now in the greater scheme of things, I'm glad to be who I am and where I am. But, did you ever have one of those days when you woke up, looked in the mirror and thought, this is going to be a bad hair day. No matter how much you try, the cowlicks will not cooperate. The rain started on the weekend and the yard needed mowing and trimming. I fired my yard guys several weeks ago and I've been keeping things up myself. I did get the front mowed before the eight inches of rain fell and threatened to flood us. My back door neighbor and I conferred during the deluge as we watched our swimming pools fill to the brim. Both of us got out and drained some water out of our pools during brief periods when the rain was not too bad. We did however still have a problem, our side neighbor was working and no one was home to take care of his pool. His side gate was padlocked, so we watched as our yards turned into small lakes when his pool finally crested. We really needed the rain so the extra water was a temporary inconvenience. Our downtown area does not handle water well, so when Bebe went to pick up our grandson, she ran over some sharp object in the flooded street. I went to the garage after she returned and found that the right rear tire on her car was flat. I took it to the repair shop after re-inflation and was told that the puncture was too wide to plug and therefore not repairable. My other tires were worn to the point of needing to be changed soon, so I bought a new set. We are talking sticker shock when it comes to new shoes for the old wagon. I returned home and continued with my intermittent trimming and mowing. Bebe then asked me if it seem hot in the house. I said yes, but I was thinking I was just hot because I was working. As it turns out the AC decided to go on the fritz on one of our hottest and most humid days so far. Our AC guys were on the quick response team, so we were back in business by the end of the day. I finally got done in the back yard, but knew that because of the standing water, we would be facing a mosquito infestation soon. So it was off to Home Depot for a new Mosquito Killer. The old Ducane grill finally gave up the ghost this week too. The hamburgers had to be cooked on the electric grill inside. Now to folks in underdeveloped countries, others who have more serious problems, people in war zones, and those who live the lifestyle of the rich and famous, my little setbacks hardly seem worthy of mentioning. That's why I entitled this piece, "Bad Hair Day". It was just one of those "Murphy's Law" weeks. All has been repaired and the yard is back under control. I anticipate a wonderful weekend and a new week with fewer distractions. Hope all of you have a super Saturday and Sunday.


I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. - JRR Tolkien