Monday, June 2, 2008

Summer Time/Easy Living

Summer time and the livin' is easy.... I was lying on a miracle, vinyl covered foam mat in my pool this afternoon at about 5:00 PM, and as I looked at the clouds through my polarized sun glasses I thought how true that line from the old song was. I say miracle mat because it held up my considerable girth with no problem at all. The sun was still hot at five in the afternoon and I watched the cotton ball clouds change shapes as they put on a morph show for me. Is this a great country or what? I knew many of you were worrying with how to comment on political banter without offending the author, or commenter who might drop by with an opposing view. Well, now you know what I was doing - lying in the pool looking at the clouds. I enjoy all your comments pro or con. If I didn't, I wouldn't post it for comment in the first place. So, if I should wax political at some time in the future before the election - fire away. You might even change my mind if your argument is sound. So, anyway as the gulf breeze turned my mat into the sun, I closed my eyelids and looked at the crimson curtain with its kaleidoscope of changing shapes and thought how many people will never know this kind of peace and prosperity. I am truly thankful for being a citizen of the United States of America. Several years ago I had a house with the master bath on the east wall. The frosted glass bricks above the tub were lined up with the door into the master bedroom. In the summer, the morning sun would shine through the glass and light my bedroom. I wrote this poem about waking up to the rising sun.

Sunrise

Epiphany?

No, just the rising sun
blasting through the frosted
glass on the east wall.

A laser.

Eyes closed,
I can feel it.

No fast moves.

Aroma of dark elixir.

Quiet electric hum
inside insulated walls.

A favorite time
that does not last.


The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained to liberation from the self. Albert Einstien