Thursday, June 12, 2008

Looking for that Pot of Gold?

I don't know how many times I've tried to grab the brass ring on the Merry-Go-Round and missed. I've played the lottery. I've prayed the highly spiritual prayer, "Lord just let me see those six numbers today, and I promise I'll tithe my winnings." I've tried to get excited about interactive marketing opportunities, and I've invested with the best money managers my money can buy. I still abide in the middle of the pack. I've read all the inspirational books and repeated the success mantras, but somehow I still am just an ordinary middle classed citizen of these great United States of America. The older I get, the more I realize I did get the brass ring. I read stories of those who have amassed great wealth, and for many it has been a big disappointment. Their lives have been wrecked. The pot at the end of the rainbow is just what you see in the picture above. I have a wonderful wife, children, and grandchildren. I live in a comfortable home, and all my needs are met. I still have my health, and my mind is still operating at near mediocre levels. I am at peace spiritually, and I live in the greatest country on the face of the Earth. I wrote a poem to try and describe the problem with our perceptions, and real life. I hope you enjoy it.


Little Pleasures

We plan.
We work.
We save.
We dream.
But, life is seldom as it seems.

A germ,
a gene,
a wayward act
can throw perceptions off their track.

A hug,
a kiss,
a tender word
can let us know we’re not alone.

Life is life.
So, on we go
not so sure of what’s in store.
But, fearing less that great unknown.
Enjoying “little” more.