Thursday, April 17, 2008

Where Are We Going?

I am impressed by photographic images. I love to see things others capture and share. Many cause an immediate visceral response. Something stored in memory is excited by visual cues. I also enjoy reading the commentary fellow bloggers attach to their photos, and the responses they get from others. This photo brought to mind the prices for gas I saw at a local filling station yesterday. Now, I don't know about you, but I get the feeling we are getting hosed at the gas pump. Every time I read about the speculative trading in petroleum products and how it affects the price of a barrel of crude, I sense a set-up. Something designed to reach deeper into the pocket of the little man. As soon as the speculators announce a probable increase, the price at the pump immediately goes up. What happened to the gas in the storage tanks bought at the lower price? Now, when the great national media announces a significant drop in the price of a barrel of crude, the price should fall immediately right? Not. The refineries announce they are cutting back on production because crude prices are so high, and the supply drops and keeps the price at its current level or higher. We should not demand government control, but those who are gouging us should be exposed by those in the media who claim to have their fingers on the pulse of the nation. Then we could see who the greedy pigs are and prepare a Bar-B-Que for them. I am intentionally traveling less not just to preserve my pension, but to deny all the ridiculous profit taking I can. I have a fairly new bicycle in my garage that doesn't get near enough mileage put on it. I plan to fix it for carrying something other than a passenger and use it more often. I may not smell as fresh when I arrive at my destination, but I'll keep a little more cash in my checking account. The photo reminded me of the pace of life in rural Mississippi when I was a child. My uncles were still using horse and wagon to bring crops from the field, and firewood from the forest. We may need to try something like that until our scientists (those who haven't been paid off or bought out) come up with alternative methods. We need to get involved on an individual basis and get the government (State and National) out of the process. If a business can't make it (Airlines, Financial Institutions, etc., etc.), they should fail. The taxpayers of this nation should not be required to bail them out. We need to get back within our budgets. In case you have forgotten here are a list of physical needs; Air, Water, Food, Shelter, and Clothing. The rest are wants and could be postponed until we get this ship back on an even keel. We need more ordinary people to get involved. I just read about a guy (not a scientist) who had cancer and decided to try and come up with a way to cure it with less invasive methods. He started experimenting with radio transmission waves and his wife's pie plates. He has stumbled on a method that may hold great hope for the future of cancer treatment, and in the process he accidentally discovered that salt water excited by the same waves burns. What a great fuel source this would be. We can change things in this country, but it will take everyone doing just a little everyday to make a difference. Use your imaginations.

The more you read and observe about the Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse thant the other. The one that's out always looks the best. Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)