Sunday, April 27, 2008

Leaning into Summer

I took this title from the painting above by Barbara McCleary. It is a peaceful scene and reminds me of quiet places I've been. I can relive the experience by looking at a picture. I think most of us strive to find these peaceful places, and moments in life, where troubles can be put aside in favor of enjoying nature and quiet solitude. I have found a spiritual peace in Jesus Christ. This is not to say that life is without trouble, or that I am always peaceful in my actions or attitudes, but in the deepest spiritual sense I have filled that God shaped hole in my soul. In spite of my outward circumstances I can say as the hymn writer did "It is well with my soul."

JESUS, MAN, GOD

Jesus,
Man,
God,
He who is,
He who was.

He was sent,
But chose to die.
Conquered death our lives to buy.
Arose triumphant,
Reigns on high.

Jesus,
Man,
God,
He who is,
He who was.

Dennis Price