Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Roads

Day three of the diet. I am a little light headed this morning. I will shave before I weigh this morning because my beard is very heavy. I used to have a motorcycle very similar to the one pictured above. Mine had a passenger seat, saddle bags, a sissy bar, and a luggage rack. I needed all the extras, because on occasion my wife travelled with me. She loved to ride, but it took a little more gear and prep time when we decided to ride together. I love backroads and highways that are no longer used by the main flow of traffic. When I went on my longer "Rideabouts", usually alone, I tried to find obscure little roads off of the Interstate highways to travel on. Some in my family thought I had become senile and encouraged me to sell the bike. I decided to try a Jeep as a substitute. I like my little red Jeep, but I can't help but miss the feel of the road beneath just two wheels. Maybe when I do get senile, I'll buy another motorcycle. I wrote a Country Song about the rambling life and I'll share an amended version as a poem this morning.


Heat Waves

Heat waves are rising from the pavement.
Reflections of my enslavement.
A wild and restless spirit’s got to roam, Oh Lord.
I’m a drifter just looking for a home.

Another winding road lies before me.
It’s something I’ve seen many times before.
And I wonder as I sit and watch the sun rise,
just where I’ll be when I see its final glow.

The cities I have seen go unnumbered,
and the faces of the people I don’t know.
I think one day that I might try and count them,
but for now I must get on my feet and go.

The road I travel sometimes bathed in sunlight.
At other times it’s covered up with snow.
I’ve even seen Alaska’s midnight sunshine,
and I’ve waded in the Gulf of Mexico.

One day I’ll walk that final highway.
Stretch my thumb out for that final ride.
Headed for that final destination,
and a place where I can lay my load aside.

But those heat waves keep rising from the pavement.
Reflections of my enslavement.
A wild and restless spirit has to roam, Oh Lord.
I’m a drifter just looking for a home.