Saturday, March 29, 2008

Edible Mammals

I found this picture on the web the other day, apparently from L.A., and it put me in mind of day six of my diet. Anything with edible meat on it had my attention yesterday. During the day I went to the back yard to practice my stalking skills on the Anole lizards living in my flower beds. However, they were spared when I got a call from a friend who said he was cooking fajitas and wanted us to come over for supper. I was limited to meat and tomatoes, but I don't think they ever tasted better. Today and tomorrow are the last days of the diet, and are designed to slowly move participants back to normal (but restrained) eating habits. I calculated my weight loss at around nine pounds yesterday. I am going to buy a thermal cover for the pool today to prevent night time heat loss. This should mean a return to the water in a week or so. I know why hippos enjoy lolling in the water all day. They look cute, but are in the group of cute animals you want to avoid when paddling in a fiberglass canoe. Especially if they've been dieting.






ARTIST: Richard Thompson TITLE:

1952 Vincent Black Lightning

(Selected verses)


Said Red Molly to James that's a fine motorbike
A girl could feel special on any such like
Said James to Red Molly, well my hat's off to you
It's a Vincent Black Lightning, 1952
And I've seen you at the corners and cafes it seems
Red hair and black leather, my favorite color scheme

And he pulled her on behind
And down to Box Hill they did ride.
Says James, in my opinion, there's nothing in this world
Beats a 52 Vincent and a red headed girl.


I was put in the country mood once again after Beth blogged on Lacy J's song "Sixteenth Avenue" yesterday. I also found a picture of a 1952 Vincent motorcycle engine and it put me in mind of a bluegrass song "1952 Vincent Black Lightning". The Del McCoury Band did a nice job on this one. Del has a high tenor voice and delivers a good rendition of this sad story. I may even pull out my Martin and give it a try myself today.



There's so much pollution in the air now that if it weren't for our lungs there'd be no place to put it all. - Robert Orben