Friday, February 22, 2008

Visiting with Family

I know you thought I had given up on the blog, but no such luck. I was entertaining out of town guests. If you eliminate the young folks on the left side of this picture, then you know who came - My mother, sister, and brother-in-law. I can no longer say my sister does not leave the State of Mississippi. We had a great time eating, talking, and laughing. My daughters, son-in-law, and grandkids joined the mini-reunion. All have held up well and look very much the same as they did in this picture. My mother, who does not have a computer, got to see what a "blog" actually is. The weather here was balmy and overcast, almost warm enough to take a swim. We picked fresh grapefruit and went to South Padre Island for a seafood meal yesterday. This morning we reenacted the Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy good bye scene. Bye, bye, bye, bye (all while waving from the sidewalk and the car) bye, y'all come see us when you can. Tell yer Momma 'n 'nem hello. Bye, bye (more waves as the car pulls out of sight). Now I'm doing the chores my wife left for me to complete before she gets home.


Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it. - Jane Wagner


The Nueces river runs through the Southwest Texas near my mother's house. I always think of my trips there and my walks along the river's edges.


NUECES

Nueces River,
west of Uvalde.

Mesquite trees stand tall
beside quiet blue pools,
and narrows of fast running water.

I walk the dry edges.
My thoughts lost in sound
of moving water.
.
The river moves unseen below the rocks,
popping back up
in a gurgling torrent further along.
Never ceasing, it flows to natures
varied forces.

There is no stopping here.
only the illusion.

Change is made on the move.

Change is inevitable, and as much as we would like for some things to stay the same they rarely do.



Memory

Through the thin wall
I heard my father’s voice.
Long gone, but still there.