Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Perspective


In case you are wondering who this crazy fellow is in the picture, I'll tell you. It's my younger brother Steve. Steve is recently retired from a large metropolitan fire department. Shortly after retirement he was diagnosed with two types of lymphoma. Following my post yesterday, I started thinking of other people close to me who have had to deal with a cancer diagnosis. Steve has always had the ability to make us laugh. After several chemo-treatments, his hair fell out and he said when he looked in the mirror he thought he resembled "Uncle Fester", from the old Addams Family TV series. He found a black cape and put a light bulb in his mouth and had his wife take the picture which he sent to us. In November of this year, at the end of his chemo series, the doctors told him he was in remission. Steve wrote a letter to be sent to all who had prayed for him during this time of trial. I just thought it might be something someone else might need. Our perspective can make a difference.


Dear Family and Friends,

I thought I would take a few days to absorb the good news the doctors gave me on November 8th. My first reaction in hearing the news was to praise God for my healing. The first major skirmish in my battle with cancer had been won. Since the beginning of this struggle I have asked God to show me what he wanted me to learn from this trial in my life. You really experience the gamut of emotions going through a life threatening event. First you get the cold water in the face when the doctors give you the grim diagnosis. Then you face the reality of the tough course of treatment before you. This is followed by the realization that you have one of the most dangerous diseases which is treated with some of the most toxic drugs man has made. During these days of treatment, I have listened to godly men, read the bible, and of course prayed a lot. One thing kept resonating with me. God tells us that even in sickness you must remain in action for Him. One pastor stated that in Psalms 23 when it says, “though you go through the valley of the shadow of death”, it meant you do not stay in the valley, but you must attempt to physically and spiritually proceed to the other side. It requires action on our part as believers. This is also illustrated in Jesus’ ministry. If you study who Jesus healed during his ministry you realize that people afflicted came to Him, He did not seek them out for healing. In addition, after healing them He instructed them to arise, go forth and tell others. Once again, this required action on the part of those afflicted and given the gift of healing. Of course, God gives us the tools to fight sin and disease. In Ephesians 6 it clearly states we are engaged in spiritual warfare. So even in our weak or sick bodies we should still don the whole armor and remain in the fight. After all, we know as God’s foot soldiers the ultimate victory as been accomplished. God has already planted the symbol of victory on the horizon of life’s battlefield – it is the empty cross. If we can summon the courage of our convictions and charge across this battlefield God will be honored and we will not be alone. Other saints will be in the fray with us. I have had many saints with me in my struggle – friends, relatives, and even brothers and sisters in Christ I do not know. I cannot begin to thank you enough for your continual prayers and support. I also know that in my future skirmishes this army of support will be with both me and Donna. This gives us great comfort and peace. In closing, it is my desire that everyone reading this examine their spiritual situation. If you do not know the Lord as Savior, seek Him and accept the precious gift of salvation. After experiencing the joy of salvation, arise, go forth and tell others.

With sincere gratitude and in His love,

Steve


Little Pleasures

We plan.
We work.
We save.
We dream.
But, life is seldom as it seems.

A germ,
a gene,
a wayward act
can throw perceptions off their track.

A hug,
a kiss,
a tender word
can let us know we’re not alone.

Life is life.
So, on we go
not so sure of what’s in store.
But, fearing less that great unknown.
Enjoying “little” more.