Wednesday, June 3, 2009

The Invitation

"Hello."
"Hi Dad.  Would you and mom like to come over and have dinner tonight? I'm cooking."

Those last two words left me speechless.  I told my youngest daughter to hold on while I alerted her mother.  I took a pen and wrote the date and time down for inclusion in her baby book.  I have two beautiful daughters, both career women, and both learned to cook around age twenty nine.  The youngest and her husband have two precious grand kids both under three years of age.  My wife tried, during their formative years, to teach them both how to cook.  Everyone in the house had a night to cook.  Both managed to learn several basic dishes like macaroni and cheese, grilled cheese sandwiches, and sloppy joes.  After they left home for college, both apparently survived on these dishes and fast food.  To be fair we have been invited over for meals on major holidays.  However,  we opted to assist in the preparation of the meal in lieu of Turkey Hot Pockets.  So, when Andrea called and asked us to come over I was tempted to ask if there was a new Hot Pocket meal we hadn't tried yet.  My mother stayed with my daughter for a few days last year and had rave reviews for the treatment she received.  She said, "Andrea had our meals catered every day - they were just wonderful."  

We agreed to go over and join Andrea and her family for supper.  She told us she prepared an Enchilada casserole.  Bebe prepared a salad and some cookies while I worked on a special blessing to include a petition for protection for all who were in attendance.  We arrived and were greeted by Zeus the boxer, and the grand kids who seemed happy to see us even though they were rescued from our house just hours earlier by their mother.  A wonderful aroma was coming from the kitchen.  There were pots and pans on the stove and several burners were lit. The microwave was silent.  The ladies scurried about the kitchen and dining room while Leonel and I watched in silence.  We were soon called to serve our plates.  My daughter Amanda had eaten all of the baby carrots out of the tossed salad before anyone could be served, but we managed to get some lettuce and fresh tomatoes.  The casserole was an excellent recipe and we all enjoyed the feast.  We had a breakthrough.  The girls talked about having one night a week where we met at each others houses to sample the latest recipes.  I think Bebe and I can rest now.  Both girls will be able to provide us meals in our dotage.  Thanks Andrea.  The meal was great.  I'll be looking forward to our next gathering.


Writing is the only profession where no one considers you ridiculous if you earn no money.
  - 
Jules Renard