Friday, April 24, 2009

Hope Floats

I feel old and crabby on occasion as I rant about the current conditions in our great nation.  I look around to see if all the people who are agreeing with me are old and crabby too.  However, I was pleasantly surprised, during the Tea Parties on April 15, 2009, to see a goodly number of young people participating.  These are not the images we get of young folks from the "Mainstream Media".  Our group was led by a young medical doctor and his wife, and in the clips of the other groups meeting around the country, I saw many young people who were actively participating.  

I have been known to despair when thinking of who will be running our country when we are sitting in the nursing home.  My spirits were bolstered this week when I received an e-mail from a high school senior, Fernando Trevino.  Fernando proposed that the July 4th Tea Party in our area be held at South Padre Island.  He asked for input from those of us who participated in the most recent Tea Parties.  He also left a blog address; http://writefortheright.blogspot.com. This site is a political commentary site and is maintained by three high school seniors from Brownsville, TX, Fernando Trevino, Danielle Chavez, and Maggie Bice.  Fernando and Danielle not only helped to organize the Tea Party in Brownsville, TX, they made speeches there.  The text of their speeches is available on their blog.  These young folks aren't old enough to vote yet, but they show a wisdom far beyond their years.  I wish our legislators, especially those from our area, had the sense these young folks do.  I went to the site and was totally blown away by the quality of the posts.  I sent Fernando an e-mail and asked his permission to share the site with you.  He generously consented.  I hope you will go by for a visit and leave some encouraging comments.  If you like it, spread the word.  I think we got something very good happening here.

I think that one possible definition of our modern culture is that it is one in which nine-tenths of our intellectuals can't read any poetry.
  - Randall Jarrell