Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Walking and Thinking

Yesterday I took a morning walk. I like to walk alone and think. I observed the Jackrabbits in our neighborhood as they fiercely clung to the small patches of vacant ground and seemed to be thriving. Their tenacity and survival gives me hope for our country. In spite of the assaults of the people who would sell us into slavery in the name of saving us, the silent core of working Americans continues to function. I salute all of you who contribute daily. My poem to the Jackrabbits salutes their adaptability.

Jackrabbit Blues


With houses hogging every lot
the habitat is shrinking fast
for hounded hares of Harlingen
who cling to every clump of grass.

They‘re long and lean
with ears to match
and walk with rocking gait.
Rumps up, heads low.

In howling wind they hunker down
on sparsely covered bits of ground
and run with blinding speed when danger’s near.
Then disappear in broad daylight.

And when I think we’ve seen the last
I scan the vacant lots’ tall grass
and there they sit this tiny band
of hounded hares from Harlingen.

Dennis Price

It's not a matter of whether or not someone's watching over you. It's just a question of their intentions. - Randy K. Milholland