Thursday, February 26, 2009

In the Interest of Fairness


John Cornyn came to Washington after many years serving in the Texas judiciary, and he brought with him a strong conservative ideology and a developed view of the U.S. Constitution. After serving as a justice on the state District Court and later the Texas Supreme Court, Cornyn was Attorney General of Texas before running for Senate in 2002, when Sen. Phil Gramm (R-Tex.) retired.

This is one of my Senators. He is a Republican. I only know him through his political speechifying and his online bios. I routinely send him my views on things political and have to date been satisfied with the promptness of his responses. I wanted to post this to keep my blog from being pulled when the fairness doctrine is implemented. You know I do not hold back in my criticism of politicians in both parties who are not serving the American taxpayers. I got this response from him when I sent my detailed opinions of our yet to be vetted president, Barack Hussein Obama. I wanted to know why our Republican representatives both in the Senate and House were not asking the necessary questions to address my concerns. Here is the luke warm, milque-toast, lawyerese, don't answer one question directly, pitiful response I got with my comments in parenthesis. This is typical of the drivel you get from these fixed for life politicians who are so free with other peoples money.

Dear Mr. Price: (This is probably the only place on this form letter where a staffer had to type in something.)

Thank you for contacting me regarding President Barack Obama. (He does acknowledge he is President in this sentence.) I appreciate having the benefit of your comments on this matter. (I'll bet the Senator never saw my original letter. It is obvious to me because he didn't address one question directly that I asked.)

As you know, on January 20, 2009, Barack Obama was sworn in as the forty-fourth President of the United States of America. (This is post-innauguration.) As the 111th Congress begins, our nation faces many challenges. We are in the midst of tough economic times, and the federal government must stand on the side of taxpayers and small businesses. Now more than ever, we need fiscal discipline in Washington. I welcome President Obama’s commitment to reform the federal budget process and rein in wasteful government spending, (Where did he get the idea that Obama and the rogue Dems were reining in wasteful government spending? This tells me he is not in touch with reality and that worries me.) and I will hold the President-elect accountable (This gave me hope. In this sentence he refers to the newly innaugurated president as "President-elect". I wonder if Obama has seen this?) as Congress works to quickly identify and eliminate inefficient, ineffective, and outdated federal programs. (I have been voting for forty years and it hasn't happened yet. I wonder when the geniuses are going to get it right? Here are a few suggestions. Do away with the Department of Education, Department of Housing and Urban Development, The EPA, OSHA, Department of Energy, and any other Departments that have no direct Constitutional mandate to be in operation.)

Families across Texas and the nation are forced to make tough financial decisions each day—the federal government should be no different. But year after year too many government programs are funded because there are small—but vocal—special interest groups backing them with little Congressional oversight to determine when ideas have run their course. The American people have a right to know how their hard earned dollars are being spent, and I will continue to support making our government more transparent, accountable, and efficient. (Well Duh, tell me what you've been doing these last eight years.)

While strengthening the economy must remain a priority, we must also find bipartisan solutions (The Democrats don't know the meaning of the word. If you don't lash out with both guns blazing you will be history come the next election. Tell that to your co-hort in doing nothing worthwhile, Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison.)to address other critical issues facing our nation while continuing to advance conservative principles such as limited government, lower taxes, family values, and fighting against those who seek to destroy the American way of life.
The consequences of continued inaction are too great. It is imperative that Congress act quickly to secure our borders, reform our country’s immigration laws, modernize healthcare, and promote energy independence. You may be certain that I will continue to pursue conservative, common-sense initiatives that reinforce the principles upon which our country was founded while holding the new Administration accountable to the American people.I appreciate the opportunity to represent Texans in the United States Senate.

Thank you for taking the time to contact me. (Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah....)

Sincerely,
JOHN CORNYN

United States Senator

517 Hart Senate Office Building
Washington, DC 20510
Tel: (202) 224-2934Fax: (202) 228-2856http://www.cornyn.senate.gov

Whoso would be a man must be a nonconformist. - Ralph Waldo Emerson