Thursday, December 4, 2008

Christmas Lights

I love Christmas lights. I just hate to fool with untangling them. Even the ones all neatly squeezed into those fancy packages with cardboard baffles are impossible. When I take them up after Christmas, I put them in a larger box just the way they come off the bushes. After Thanksgiving dinner settled, (about a week following Thanksgiving) my girls started in on me to put up the lights. So, I went to the attic, got last year's box and returned to my chair in about five minutes. "Pappy, we thought you were going to put up the lights", they whined. I said, "I did. Go outside and take a look." They were horrified. I actually start Christmas trends. Years ago, when I was working every hour of every day, I started draping the hedges in front of the house with Christmas lights. In those days everyone did the same old thing and neatly hung them from the eaves. Mine were unique. Of course the girls complained. They surmised we would be the laughing stock of the neighborhood. Just look around you today. The Pappy method of bush decoration is everywhere. This year I'm using the light ball method. Just wait, next year you will be able to buy these pre-balled beauties in the store. All the neighbors have come by to see just how its done. After dark I see them standing in front of the house pointing at my light ball and shaking their heads in amazement. Trend setters have to be brave souls because nay sayers will be there to discourage their innovative efforts.

To punish me for my contempt of authority, Fate has made me an authority myself. Albert Einstein