Thursday, August 14, 2008

Psychotherapy


I quit therapy because my analyst was trying to help me behind my back. - Richard Lewis


The more I consider the blogging world, the more I consider psychotherapy. When I was working on my MS in Psychology, the professors told me I should enroll in therapy. They said I lacked empathy. I had been in law enforcement for a number of years by then and had a different standard of what constituted a crisis. My curt responses caused many of the not so seasoned students to cry, and this was of concern to the faculty. I did enroll, finished the program, got my degree, and after a short stint sharing my new found empathy with clients, I quit and went back into law enforcement. When I returned to the streets, I applied the things I learned. For example, when I gave the Miranda warning to arrested suspects, I would say; "You have the right to remain silent. (pause) How do you feel about that?" It drove my partners crazy. Now that you know me, can you imagine me ever not having empathy? Well, I am a little worried about all of us in the blogging world. What would you tell a therapist about the people you've met? (I use the term 'met', in the loose definition of cyber chatter.) I almost feel compelled to write something everyday. I tried to back off just a little with the Miser post just to see how you would react. I posted a picture with a quote below it - not one of you said how weird that was. Most of you left very nice comments. I think some of you probably thought I had a minor brain injury after my fall and just wanted to be kind. Actually I hit my arm and my knee, so no excuse available there. I guess I've been brainwashed. Perhaps I've been programed to allow suggestion from outside sources to be fed into my brain when I'm on line. Anyway, I thought I would post late today to give everyone ample time to respond to Misers. Hope your week was a great one.

I often quote myself. It adds spice to my conversation. - George Bernard Shaw