Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Road Trip

Well it's good to be home again. It is an abomination that Americans are forced to such drastic means to get their taxes done. We could do away with the entire IRS if we adopted a National Sales Tax instead of an Income Tax. You buy it, you pay the tax. Or, another option would be a flat tax. You made this much, this is what you owe. The entire Income tax process is an affont to the freedoms we enjoy in this great country of ours. I take a trip each year to visit a friend of mine in Norman, OK. He has done my taxes for thirty one years. I always enjoy visiting with him and his family, but the trip is never pleasant because of the purpose. I left Monday and drove to Dallas, TX where I stayed overnight. On Tuesday I completed the trip. This morning I got up and did the entire trip in one day - Fourteen hours (717 miles). I feel like I was ridden hard and put up wet.

I started near Oklahoma, City and travelled south through Dallas, TX, Austin, TX, and San Antonio, TX before hitting an open stretch of Interstate leading to Corpus Christi, TX. I then turned south and headed for the lower Rio Grande Valley. I did two hours on the King Ranch before seeing my first gasoline stop south of Kingsville, TX. It takes a while just to draw a line on the map between my starting point and destination.
And in case you are wondering - The gasoline was expensive. I am tired and broke after my little adventure.
A sense of humor is part of the art of leadership, of getting along with people, of getting things done. - Dwight D. Eisenhower